The main goals of the lab are:
- Articulate an academic network that uses open technologies applied to earth sciences.
- Encourage the use of open source software in curricula.
- Define models of use of technologies and open standards
- Actively participate in the network of OSGeo laboratories.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of the mission of the Geo4All project
- Promote and strengthen cooperation among the communities related to the laboratory.
- Perform community mapping sessions.
- Develop standardized and open components and content that can be integrated into formal, informal or self-learning models.
- Do projects related to the missionality of the laboratory.
- Publish and present the advances, results and achievements of the laboratory in national and international networks.