The laboratory aims the evaluation, usage and dissemination of open-source IT and geospatial software technologies, open data, and open standards by intergration of these resources in teaching, research, and certification.
Objectives of the lab are to provide
– an understanding and knowledge about Open Source in general and in the field of geospatial information technology
– the appraisal of capabilities and limitations of products of the Open Source Geospatial domain, also in combination with Closed Source solutions
– an understanding about Open Data and the value of Geospatial Data
– training and expertise on open-source geospatial software
– the ability to implement scalable, multi-tier client-server architectures
– support for the development and documentation of open-source geospatial software
– a contribution to disaster mapping and management by open tools and open data
– to contribute to the certification of open education.