In an early experimented in cross-project collaboration GeoTools participated in the test-bed for the GeoAPI project responsible for org.opengis interfaces. The OGC GeoAPI Implementation Specification was eventually published, and now at version 3 has asked for exclusive use of the org.opengis Java package.
This activity requires your participation and support:
- Sponsor this initiative via Open Source Geospatial Foundation
- This activity is already partially funded as a priority for OSGeo 2023 Budget
- Refactor the use of org.opengis interfaces in the GeoTools project
- Remove unused interfaces, such as Geometry, that have not attracted sufficient sustained investment.
- Rollback design changes made to GeoTools to facilitate adoption of GeoAPI interfaces.
- Provide downstream projects with a migration script to minimize disruption.
- 2023 April: Open Standards and Open Source Software Code Sprint: initiatve promotion
- 2023 June: FOSS4G Code Sprint: Design and Planning
- 2023 August: Bolsena Code Sprint: GeoTools Refactor and API Change
- 2023 September: GeoTools 30.0: Public release of API Change
Cross-project initiative with a range of projects affected:
For background information: