The OGC GeoAPI Implementation Specification requires exclusive use of the org.opengis Java package to establish common interfaces and classes for interoperability between Java projects (similar to SFSQL interoperability between databases).
OSGeo projects experimented in cross-project collaboration between GeoTools, OpenJUMP and degree projects made use of “geoapi-pending” interfaces defined in the org.opengis Java package.
This activity requires your participation and support:
- Sponsor this initiative via Open Source Geospatial Foundation
- This activity is already partially funded as a priority for OSGeo 2023 Budget
- Refactor the use of org.opengis interfaces in the GeoTools project
- Rollback design changes made to GeoTools to facilitate adoption of GeoAPI interfaces
- Provide downstream projects with a migration script
- 2023 April: Open Standards and Open Source Software Code Sprint: initiatve promotion
- 2023 June: FOSS4G Code Sprint: Design and Planning
- 2023 August: Bolsena Code Sprint: GeoTools Refactor and API Change
- 2023 September: GeoTools 30.0: Public release of API Change
- 2023 Q4: Last Friday of the month drop-in sprint to assist downstream projects with migration
Cross-project initiative with a range of projects affected: