- works on any common data type, not just 8 bit: char, byte, short, ushort, int, uint, float, double.
- works with any given MaxZError or max coding error per pixel.
- can work with a byte mask that specifies which pixels are valid and which ones are not.
- is very fast: encoding time is about 20-30 ms per MegaPixel per band, decoding time is about 5 ms per MegaPixel per band.
- compression is better than most other compression methods for larger bitdepth data (int types larger than 8 bit, float, double).
- for 8 bit data lossless compression, PNG can be better, but is much slower.
- in general for lossy compression with MaxZError > 0, the larger the error allowed, the stronger the compression. Compression factors larger than 100x have been reported.
- this Lerc package can read all (legacy) versions of Lerc, such as Lerc1, Lerc2 v1, v2, and the current Lerc2 v3. It always writes the latest stable version.
- Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)