On the occasion of Open Education Week 2015 http://www.openeducationweek.org/ , “Geo for All” community http://www.geoforall.org would to like to thank all educators worldwide who have made contributions to open education efforts and being good global citizens by helping spread the benefits of education to all.
We are very happy to announce the nominees for the GeoForAll – Global Educator of the Year Award 2015. This is an opportunity for us to thank colleagues for their excellent contributions to Openness in Education principles in the Geo domain.
Congratulations to the following individuals or teams who received one or more nominations for the 2015 GeoForAll Global Educator of the Year Award.
In no particular order, the nominees are:
=== Individuals ===
* Daniel Baldwin, Costa Rica International Academy, Costa Rica, for his course on [https://arabic.oercommons.org/EN/authoring/4247-mapping-the-mangroves-mwl/view “Mapping the Mangroves”]
* Phil Davis, DelMar College, Texas, USA for his ongoing leadership and tireless efforts leading the creation of the [https://foss4geo.wordpress.com/ GeoAcademy]
* Genovevea Laurente, Consultora Calixto, Uruguay and gvSIG Batovi for the course [http://ipesvirtual.dfpd.edu.uy/course/category.php?id=81 “Sistemas de Información Geográfica con uso de datos abiertos orientado a la educación,” or in English, “Geographic Information Systems for Education using Open Data”]
* Kurt Menke, Bird’s Eye View GIS, Alburquerque, NM, USA, for his [http://catalog.cnm.edu/ Introduction to Open Source and Web Mapping] course he developed for Central New Mexico Community College
* Sterling Quinn, Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania, USA, for his course on [https://www.e-education.psu.edu/geog585/ “Open Web Mapping”]
* Giorgio Zamboni, Politecnico di Milano, Como campus, Italy for his [http://geomobile.como.polimi.it/policrowd/ “PoliCrowd: A Social Network App with NASA World Wind].
=== Teams ===
* Environmental Information Centre GRID-Warsaw; UNEP/GRID Warsaw for their [http://edugis.pl/en/for-teachers/guide EduGIS Academy]
* Open Source Geospatial Laboratory team at ETH Zurich, Switzerland for their [http://osgl.ethz.ch/osgl/Webmaps.html Interactive Web Maps course]
* Shashi Shekhar and Brent Hecht, Computer Science, University of Minnesota, USA for their Massive Open Online Course [https://www.coursera.org/course/spatialcomputing “From GPS and Google Maps to Spatial Computing”]
* Lluis Vicens (SIGTE,Spain), Toni Hernandez (SIGTE, Spain), Jeremy Morley (University of Nottingham,UK), Alberto Romeu (Prodevelop) and Jorge Sanz (Prodevelop) for their [http://www.sigte.udg.edu/summerschool2014/ GIS Open Source Summer School] at the University of Girona in Spain
* Ricardo Olivira, Raphael Moreno – FOSS4G lab, University of Colorado, Denver USA for their [http://geospatial.ucdenver.edu/foss4g/training/tutorialsPostgreSQL/PostGIS course materials]
* Raquel Sosa, Rosario Casanova and Jorge Franco, for their [https://www.fig.net/pub/monthly_articles/January_2013/gvsig_batovi_an_educational_gis.pdf gvSIG Educa/Batovi] effort in Uruguay
* Kurt Menke – Brids Eye View, Nate Jennings Urbandale Spatial, Jon Van Hoesen Green Mtn College, Rick Smith Texas A&M, and Phil Davis, Delmar College (all in USA) for their [https://foss4geo.wordpress.com GeoAcademy] development efforts
All of these individuals and teams should be celebrated for their efforts. Just being nominated is an honour.
The award committee now has the very difficult task of selecting the [http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoForAll_Global_Educator_of_the_Year_Award_2015 GeoForAll Educator of the Year] out of this well deserving list of nominees. This year’s selections (possibly an individual and a team award) will be announced at the FOSS4G 2015- Europe “Open Innovation for Europe” conference at Como, Italy in July . Details at http://europe.foss4g.org/2015/
Congratulations again to all the nominees and we encourage you to list this nomination honour in your CVs.
Happy Open Education Week 2015 everyone.
Prof. Charlie Schweik, on behalf of the GeoForAll Educator Award
==== Selection Committee ====
Prof. Georg Gartner (President, ICA)
Jeff McKenna (President, OSGeo)
Chen Jun (President, ISPRS)
Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli (Italy)
Dr. Xinyue Ye (USA)
Dr. Luciene Delazari (Brazil)
Dr. Tuong-Thuy Vu (Malaysia)
Prof. Venkatesh Raghavan (Japan/India)
Prof. Ivana Ivánová (Brazil)
Jeroen Ticheler (The Netherlands)
Dr. Serena Coetzee (South Africa)
Prof. Helena Mitasova (USA)
Anne Ghisla (Germany)
Patrick Hogan (USA)
Dr Suchith Anand (UK/India)