The GDAL/OGR Project is pleased to announce the release of GDAL/OGR 1.7.0. This is the first major new release since the 1.6.0 release approximately one year ago, though there have been a number of 1.6.x bug fixes releases during that period. The 1.7.0 release brings many new features, including a number of new raster and vector drivers as well as many improvements to existing drivers, and limited extensions to the GDAL API.
* New Raster Drivers: BAG, EPSILON, Northwood/VerticalMapper, R, Rasterlite, SAGA GIS Binary, SRP (USRP/ASRP), EarthWatch .TIL, WKT Raster
* GDAL PCIDSK driver using the new PCIDSK SDK by default
* New Vector drivers : DXF, GeoRSS, GTM, PCIDSK and VFK
* New utilities: gdaldem, gdalbuildvrt now compiled by default
* Add support for Python 3.X. Compatibility with Python 2.X preserved
* Remove old-generation Python bindings.
* Significantly improved raster drivers: GeoRaster, GeoTIFF, HFA, JPEG2000 JasPer, JPEG2000 Kakadu, NITF
* Significantly improved vector drivers: CSV, KML, SQLite/SpataiLite, VRT
Full release news is available at:
The source code, documentation and test suite can be downloaded from: