The foundation provides financial, organizational and legal support to the broader open source geospatial community. It also serves as an independent legal entity to which community members can contribute code, funding and other resources, secure in the knowledge that their contributions will be maintained for public benefit. OSGeo also serves as an outreach and advocacy organization for the open source geospatial community, and provides a common forum and shared infrastructure for improving cross-project collaboration.
The foundation’s projects are all freely available and useable under an Open Source Initiative certified open source license.
OSGeo has US 501(c)(4) legal status as a not-for-profit organization.
Empower everyone with open source geospatial
OSGeo Mission Statement
Foster global adoption of open geospatial technology by being an inclusive software foundation devoted to an open philosophy and participatory community driven development.
The following aspirational goals support the overall mission. As a foundation we seek to:
- provide resources for foundation projects;
- foster the use of open source geospatial software;
- encourage interoperability with open and community standards;
- ensure interoperability between the foundation projects;
- encourage a high degree of quality and innovation in foundation projects;
- champion the use of open-source and community participation through the development of an open education curriculum
- enable communication and cooperation amongst OSGeo communities;
- champion community building through horizontal (local chapters) engagement and through vertical (sector specific) agreements with like-minded organizations;
- be a welcoming and inclusive worldwide organization at all levels;
- celebrate excellence, openness and service within the OSGeo community.