Document StatusVersion: 1.1
Last Edited: November 25, 2007
PurposeThe purpose of this document is to describe the incubation process from entrance to exit.
Terms and Definitions
- The project wishing to enter OSGeo
- The Incubation Committee
- Incubation Process
- The process by which a project becomes a full member project of OSGeo
- A member of the Incubation Committee chosen to assist a Project through the Incubation Process
- Project Management Committee
- The Project completes the Incubator Application Questionnaire and submits it as a new Trac ticket for "Component Incubator" or email to info at osgeo.org.
- IncCom reviews pending Incubation Applications at the next regularly scheduled meeting. Each Incubation Application is evaluated based on the Project Evaluation Criteria.
- For Projects that meet the Project Evaluation Criteria, an Incubation Mentor is chosen. Incubation Mentors are selected based on willingness to act as a Mentor for a particular Project. If no Mentor is chosen, the Project is placed on hold until a Mentor can be found. It is acceptable (and desireable) for a Project to recruit a Mentor for itself as part of the Project Submission Process.
- The chairman of IncCom presents projects selected for Incubation to the OSGeo Board of Directors for acceptance or deferral.
- The Incubation Mentor reports incubation progress to the IncCom periodically using the Project Status Template.
- Incubation Projects remain in incubation until the Incubation Mentor and the IncCom agree the project is ready for full status.
- The Chairman of the IncCom presents projects ready for graduation at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the OSGeo Board of Directors. The OSGeo Board of Directors accepts or rejects a Project's graduation from the Incubator.
- Upon graduation, a member of the project's PMC is selected to report to the foundation board periodically on project status.